[ home ] [ math / cs / ai / phy / as / chem / bio / geo ] [ civ / aero / mech / ee / hdl / os / dev / web / app / sys / net / sec ] [ med / fin / psy / soc / his / lit / lin / phi / arch ] [ off / vg / jp / 2hu / tc / ts / adv / hr / meta / tex ] [ chat ] [ wiki ]

/math/ - Mathematics

Name
Email
Subject
Comment
Verification
Instructions:
  • Press the Get Captcha button to get a new captcha
  • Find the correct answer and type the key in TYPE CAPTCHA HERE
  • Press the Publish button to make a post
  • Incorrect answer to the captcha will result in an immediate ban.
File
Password (For file deletion.)

25 Dec 2021Mathchan is launched into public

20 / 3 / 17 / ?

File: God Wei.JPG ( 35.86 KB , 1098x732 , 1703420790112.jpg )

https://newsen.pku.edu.cn/PKUmedia/11888.html

>Of these 24 questions, Wei Dongyi completed 23 and a half, a record that even his coach was amazed by. He often solved all the questions in the first hour of the test. Many of the methods he used were self-invented and were much more concise than the standard processes, and became known as the "Wei Method".

>
In this competition, Wei beat the legendary Tao Zhexuan, who taught himself calculus at the age of seven and won the IMO gold medal at the age of 12, by a time ratio of 1:7. Tao Zhexuan was invited to solve the sixth problem of the finale, which took him seven hours, while Wei Dongyi took only one hour in the competition.

Is it really impossible to be like him with just learning and studying more? Is it really over, is only option actually suicide? Please be brutally honest, I don't want any false hope.(Even though I know the answer)
>>

File: ShadowWorld.jpg ( 191.63 KB , 999x999 , 1703543647224.jpg )

Gaining this sort of skill in problem solving is I'd say possible with an incredible amount of practice. But it's nothing to beat oneself up over, there's much more to math than just being incredibly skilled in problem solving.
>>
>there's much more to math than just being incredibly skilled in problem solving.

Like what? Almost %95 of entire math is problem solving and other %5 is just conjecturing problems, which is related to your problem solving skills anyway.
>>
>>559
>can't beat a one in a billion math prodigy

it's over bros
>>

File: 6ja3h0.png ( 529.85 KB , 680x845 , 1704252603316.png )

>>606
Studying the theory is the ultimate goal of math. Problem solving is, while enjoyable by most, a means to an end.
>>
>>606
>>608
I was going to post this. The purpose of mathematics past the age of computing is to answer questions.
>>
>>608
To study theory completely you still need problem solving skills, and if you want to understand theories like Euler,Gauss,Tao or Dongyi you need problem solving skills like them, mathematics is a framework to solve things that is the main point anything you do in math will go back to problem solving anyway.
>>
>>610
You don't need the same kind of problem solving skills for that. You need to be able to solve problems in order to develop the theory or sometimes to apply it.
Further what these skills boil down to is nothing but speed.
>>
>>611
I understand your point, but still I think an average person's understanding of whole mathematics will never be like Dongyi or Tao.
>>
>>612
Well sure, but not because of being bad a problem solving but not putting in the same amount of hours, scaled by skill a bit.
>>
Sadly this is true intelligence is the final blackpill and you can't do much about it I actually think about suicide but this is just life..
>>
>>559

rom a video(I translated it myself excuse the mistakes): "Wei Dongyi is indeed very good, but it is also a very very pity, so far he has not had a top international mathematical achievement, think about Zhang Yitang, who is also a graduate of Peking University, Xu Chenyang, their achievements far exceed Wei Dongyi, what is the reason? Isn't Wei Dongyi as smart as them? Think about it. I think Zhang Yitang and Xu Chenyang may not have performed better than Wei Dongyi when they were at Peking University, but they went to the United States to study....."

So, yes you can be a great mathematican in terms of competitions but in research mathematics I am pretty sure he is autistic, so stop worrying about such things and just do math, and don't forget to enjoy it.
>>
>>619
Intelligence matters little compared to persistence. I'm not intelligent, yet I've accomplished much.
>>
every major problem was solved by creating new theory you stupid retard.
>>
Are you guys gonna turn this place into another 4/sci/ where you post prodigies/geniuses (that will be forgotten in a few years lol) and act as if doing anything isn't worth it if you're not gonna be like them?
>>
>>559
Why don't you email him.

>Dear Wei,
>You have a reputation of an excelent problem solver. I'm trying to become better at it and was wondering whether you could point me in the right direction.
>yours
>Anon

It is that easy OP. At worst he isn't going to respond or will call you a niqqer. He will be at least as helpful as /sci/ or /math/, and those guys usually reply. Don't tream them like unapproachable demigods, I've lost so many chances to ask nobel/fields laureates a question because while I was pondering the possibility of "some day meeting them on a conference" they died of old age.
>>
>>669
I don't think he speaks English and I don't have any addresses.
>>
>>670
he's an academic, and not some local fauna biologist or *mother tongue* linguist who can get away with only publishing in his native langage, he must speak english and clearly knows enough to have an h-index of 15.

https://www.math.pku.edu.cn/puremath_en/people/faculty/index2.htm
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Wei-Ab
>>
>>671
Thank you anon.
>>
>>611
intelligence boils down to nothing more than the speed at which you're able to use your brain to accomplish something. or perhaps your argument is that intelligence is largely uncorrelated with math?
>>
>>559
its experience, solve more problems & learn more methods & you'll get better.
even if you don't its not the end of the world. you can still fuck women without being a three time IMO winner.