[ home ] [ math / cs / ai / phy / as / chem / bio / geo ] [ civ / aero / mech / ee / hdl / os / dev / web / app / sys / net / sec ] [ med / fin / psy / soc / his / lit / lin / phi / arch ] [ off / vg / jp / 2hu / tc / ts / adv / hr / meta / tex ] [ chat ] [ wiki ]

/math/ - Mathematics

Name
Email
Subject
Comment
Verification
Instructions:
  • Press the Get Captcha button to get a new captcha
  • Find the correct answer and type the key in TYPE CAPTCHA HERE
  • Press the Publish button to make a post
  • Incorrect answer to the captcha will result in an immediate ban.
File
Password (For file deletion.)

25 Dec 2021Mathchan is launched into public

39 / 4 / 28 / ?

File: 3t0kod.jpg ( 76.97 KB , 800x450 , 1675025207218.jpg )

So, I have a cousin who wants to win medals in math competitions, especially IMO. Post resources, guides and tips for olympiads.
his prep level: he's 12yo(7th standard), has completed mathematics books upto the 10th standard level. What should be his target next? And how do I help him clear doubts? We don't have decent teachers where we live, and the internet doesn't help much
>>
>>346
Are you familiar with Evan Chen's website/resources? They're really quite helpful, especially his geo book.
>>
>>347
that is indeed an excellent resource, thank you. But I'm looking for something easier and more beginner friendly, since Chen's books are meant for people who already have an aptitude for solving olympiad level geometry problems. My cousin has not encountered proofs and critical thinking yet, since he's studied high school level mathematics, which incentivizes memorization over grasping concepts. Also, as you might have guessed, we're not native english speakers, so foreign authors can be a bit tough to understand sometimes. I bought him the AOPS vol1 and vol2 books, since they seem like a good starting point for a kid with no priot experience with math contests, and I'd appreciate more recommendations in the same vein as those.
This is kinda unrelated, but he also has this problem of not having a large enough attention span to sit through books and grasp information from them, and he tends to gravitate towards video lectures and spoonfeeding to get his concepts cleared. I find this very concerning, and would like advice on how to make him understand and use books/the internet instead of his zoomershit. I've made accounts for him on a couple of math forums(AOPS,Math stack exchange) and made reddit,discord and telegram accounts to join doubt clearing spaces/servers/subs. Hopefully that will help him get his doubts cleared rather than relying on the substandard teachers that he currently has.
>>
>>348
>I'd appreciate more recommendations in the same vein as those.
One book that comes to mind is The Art and Craft of Problem Solving by Zeitz, that's the closest I can think of. I take it that you're already familiar with your national olympiad's syllabus/list of recommended reads?
>>
yeah, we are familiar with the syllabus and recommended books, but they're mostly problem solving ones with little to no theory involved. as for your suggestion, this is what I got greeted with as soon as I dled:
>This is a book about mathematical problem solving. We make three assumptions about you, our reader:
>∙ You know high-school math pretty well, and have at least begun the study of “higher mathematics” such as calculus and linear algebra.
my cousin has only studied 10th standard stuff till now, so he's probably too young for the book. I'll make sure he reads it once he completes these topics.
>>
>>350
slight update: he's doing well, is able to solve a few problems from the 1st stage by himself. will be a long journey. i have enrolled him in a 4 month online course on problem solving so that he maintains some discipline.
>>
>>346
I'm uploading some useful PDFs for people who are new to math competitions, I recommend reading through Mathematical Circles, it's probably one of the best books to develop a problem solving attitude. I'll post a few other links in a bit
>>
>>380
search all of these on annas-archive.org , it won't allow me to upload pdfs since it thinks I'm a bot:
Mathematical Circles: Russian Experience (Mathematical World, Vol. 7) by Dmitri Formin
Elementary Number Theory by David Burton
Challenge and Thrill of Pre-College Mathematics by Venkatachala
Problem primer for the olympiad by Venkatachala
Euclidean Geometry in Mathematical Olympiads by Evan Chen
Modern olympiad number theory by
Aditya Khurmi
Any book by Titu Andreescu, especially his 104 problems series
>>
>>346
Hi, hope everyone is well. I'm looking for "topics in functional equations" and "graphs an introduction" by Titu Andreescu, and a collection of all the introductory and intermediate books published by AOPS, since I need them to prepare for the math olympiad. I've looked on irc, libgen, anna's archive, zlib and some ddl forums. can someone help this frog out? thanks.
PS: I found a few AOPS books on anna's archive but they're incomplete and unorganized, and they cost a soykaf ton for me(18k in my currency for 1 book). Would really appreciate a complete and organized collection. I've not looked at MaM, bibliotik, libraries(my country doesn't have any) or other places, since I don't have access.
>>
>>385
bumping
>>
>>346
I am compiling a list of resources for the math olympiad at https://rentry.co/matholympiad
>>

File: image.jpg ( 1.23 MB , 3264x2448 , 1686110791888.jpg )

>>385
i have a copy of topics in fes on my desk right now, the gray book? it's kinda hard, chapter 1 is just useless cauchy bullshit
>>
>>437
sorry for the late reply, but is there any chance that I could get a scanned version/PDF/epub of the book? I've looked far and wide to no avail
>>
>>437
you dead m8?
>>
>>
>>347
Evan Chen is OK for Olympian but it's not good for learning geometry, it's very basic and is full of problems that are shoe horned in from women's teams and token African teams, you will rot his brain with Evan chen
>>
>>498
true but the book is good for basic problems, it's well structured
>>346
slight update: my cousin has cleared the first two stages of the country's Maths Olympiad and is hopeful of clearing the national MO now. He mainly relied on local authors, EGMO by Evan Chen and Engel.
>>
could try the mathematics via problems series by skopenkov as well. Has algebra, geometry, and I think a combinatorics book coming up soon.
>>
>>507
the results are official, he topped his state for his grade, with a score of 50%
>>
This place has a massive potential to become IMO/Science olympiads powerhouse just like AoPS I think it would very nice if something like that happens.
>>
>>516
you need an indexable, permanent forum to fulfill the purpose AoPS does
an anonymous imageboard where threads get pruned are not useful at all
>>
>>517
>thread gets archived
>start another thread
It's that easy.
>>
>>518
who will index it, though? AoPS is useful since you can look at/search for discussions/solutions on past problems even if they were posted 15 years ago
>>
>>346
the amc 12a 2023 got leaked this shit is funny asf
>>
>>525
kek
where? can you share it?
>>
>>526
nevermind, found it
https://www.change.org/p/integrity-issue-concerning-leaked-amc-10-12a-2023-exam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkAcmb9YazE
>>
>>346
Become IRL friends with people in Chinese and Jewish math clubs. Trust me:)
>>
>>530
I don't live in such a place
we don't even have math clubs here
>>

File: stallman-bear-hoodie-green-apple.jpg ( 19.69 KB , 360x360 , 1701273897679.jpg )

>>346
>>531
Hey, I can tell you're indian. Mind if I ask where you're from, specifically? Any updates on your cousin?

Anyway the other people are right, this place isn't any good for math olympiad discussion. AOPS forums might be good, but all I ever used were just various olympiad problem compilation books and looking at old national math olympiad papers.
Wasn't nearly smart enough to make it to the camp though :(.
>>
>>544
hey mate, I am from the north west
My cousin got his RMO results yesterday, and he moved on to the national MO ie. INMO. He got ~70/102 in the RMO.
>this place isn't any good for olympiad discussion
yeah, I have realised that, but AoPS is not that great either; his doubts rarely get answered and very few people ever reply to resource gathering threads.

>Wasn't nearly as smart to make it to the camp though
congratulations on writing the RMO/INMO though, it is an achievement in itself
>>
>>527
Apparently the 12b got leaked too, but iirc they completely rewrote the questions so gg to that i guess
>>

File: lev-landau.jpg ( 98.5 KB , 1200x800 , 1702583754124.jpg )

>>545
>I am from the north west
cool, I'm from down south
>He got ~70/102 in the RMO
that's great
the inmo is pretty much only a month away, so atb for your cousin
if he's this smart when he's only twelve, he's going to be doing some pretty cool shit by the time he's an adult lol
>few people ever reply to resource gathering threads.
i really have no idea where you could look then
some questions could be posted on math stackexchange, i guess, but besides that you'll probably just have to go hunting for active math olympiad discord servers or whatever

>it is an achievement in itself
thanks man
>>
>>450
no lol
>>
>>450
pull it off of libgen lol
>>
>>557
>>560
:(
it isn't on libgen, I wouldn't have asked if it was
>>
>>596
wait shoot youre right bruh

https://www.amazon.com/Topics-Functional-Equations-Third-Xyz/dp/099934286X

you could buy it but idk if its worth it 🥴
>>
>>346
leap day bump
>>
>>381
Thanks for these books man. I have a question about the last line. When I was 15 years old and very interested in olympiad mathematics, I got greeted by titu andreescu's 104 problems in algebra, and that book alone forced me to never chase the path of math olympiads again. I'm 19 now graduating highschool and I want to study mathematics at university, so i'm getting back into this stuff, but even then, I just visited the book again and I can't solve/understand/crack through a SINGLE FUCKING PROBLEM. The solutions ARE EVEN MORE COMPLEX THAN THE PROBLEMS THEMSELVES.

Also fyi I've never won a mathematical olympiad in my country, I participated for the second time last year and only got through the selection round by cheating, failed in the 2nd round because duh.
>>
>>745
this is also me and seeing that this is the most active thread on this board, I wanna ask you guys what's the source of the mathchan captcha problems? Also what level of math do you OP's know to be able to solve that shit? Most of it just got over my head wtf. Is it like undergrad/grad level maths or olympiad type?
>>
>>746
>what's the source of the mathchan captcha problems
Some people who know the lukyon make it and lukyon adds them

>Also what level of math do you OP's know to be able to solve that shit
NGL what i did was solve one easy captcha, memorize the answer, and whenever I need to solve another captcha just refresh until i get back to the one i solved